I know it’s cliche, but for me, January is all about new beginnings. There’s something so therapeutic about the start of a new year that makes it the perfect time to set goals and reevaluate your life path.
This month my motivation is all about goal-setting and planning.
I’m not a big New Years Resolutions person. I never, ever, manage to stick to them and I feel like they’re just glorified goals people set at the beginning of the year because they have to. They’re never well thought out, they’re never actually attainable and they’re not SMART. I much prefer setting goals, thing I want to achieve by the end of the year.
This year, my goals are pretty basic.
- Take blogging more serious. Yes, blogging is my hobby but for the entirety of last year, I kind of just winged it all. I didn’t care about stats or numbers or making money. Now, I want to use my blog to its full potential – I want to make it successful.
- Be healthier. This one is pretty vague but I’m not the unhealthiest person ever. I don’t drink, smoke or eat take-out in excess. I just generally want to eat better and drink more water.
- Save $4000. In 2016, I managed to keep my savings account above $2000 for most of the year with minimal effort. This year, I want to actually budget and assess how I’m spending my money instead of wasting it frivolously.
- Read more. If you follow me on Goodreads, you’ll know that most of my reading is done on uni break and I hate it. I just cannot seem to find the time to squeeze reading for enjoyment into my schedule in the middle of the semester. This year, I want to attempt to read more. I’m aiming for 50 books in total!
- Make new friends & spend more time with the old ones. At the end of 2014, I moved interstate. I made a few new friends but I did kind of neglect the old ones in an attempt to gain my footing in a new state. In 2017, I want to be more social. I want to make more friends and make more of an effort with the old ones, both here and back home!
- Make the Dean’s list. I have three semesters left of my degree. Three. And so far, I’d say I’ve done quite well with my grades but I know I can do better. I want to do better. With graduation looming in early 2018, I really want to make the most of 2017 academically.
- Get control of my anxiety. This isn’t something I’ve talked about a lot on the blog (but I’m thinking that might change!) but I suffer from anxiety. Sometimes it’s pretty mild, other times it’s not but something it always does is hold me back from opportunities I’d love to take. This year I want to get a grip on my anxiety, starting off with better management and then possibly with therapy. Honestly, I think with this goal, I’ll just have to take it one small step at a time.
- Embrace my family more. As mentioned early, I live away from my family. We’re all extremely close and I visit home as often as I can but I really could call home more often and make more of an effort. In 2017, I want to make sure I’m supporting my family just as much as they support me.
I’ve written my goals in my planner, so I can look back and check on my progress throughout the entire year.
What are your goals for 2017? Are you using them for motivation to kick your butt into gear this new year? Let me know in the comments below!